Cockroaches aren’t only unpleasant to look at, but they can also be a severe threat to your health. These tiny insects can carry harmful bacteria, allergens and even viruses that can make you and your family ill. Here’s what you need to know.
Some of the concerns associated with cockroach infestations include:
- Allergies. Cockroach saliva and feces contain proteins that can trigger allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Common symptoms include sneezing, nasal congestion, itchy or watery eyes and skin rashes.
- Respiratory issues. Cockroach droppings and shed skin can contaminate the air inside your home, leading to respiratory problems and worsening asthma symptoms. This is especially concerning for children and seniors, who may be more vulnerable to these health issues.
- Diseases. Cockroaches often carry bacteria such as salmonella and E. coli on their bodies. This can contaminate food and preparation surfaces, increasing the risk of food poisoning and other diseases.
While uncommon, cockroaches are known to transmit diseases such as poliovirus and gastroenteritis.
Here are some of the best things you can do to reduce the risk of cockroaches in your home:
- Repair leaky faucets and pipes
- Ventilate bathrooms and dehumidify moist areas to reduce sources of water
- Regularly inspect areas where cockroaches are likely to hide, such as kitchens, bathrooms and dark, damp spaces
- Keep food stored in airtight containers rather than in paper or cardboard that cockroaches can access and lay eggs
- Clean up crumbs, dirty dishes and spills promptly and avoid leaving pet food out overnight
- Store garbage in sealed plastic containers and dispose of it daily
- Regularly clean and vacuum your entire home, paying attention to areas where cockroaches are likely to hide and lay eggs
- Periodically steam clean your carpets and upholstery to remove allergens and kill cockroach eggs
Professional cockroach treatments
If you notice signs of cockroaches in your home, don’t panic. You can purchase a wide range of cockroach control products at Poulin’s Pest Control, including glue boards, granular and gel bait, diatomaceous earth and residual insect killer spray. We also offer professional treatments for larger infestations to help you get rid of these pests for good.
Cockroach control services
If cockroaches have entered your living space, contact the professionals at Poulin’s Pest Control. Our team provides expert advice and will point you in the right direction. We use the latest industry-approved methods and products to ensure our services are safe, effective and environmentally friendly. We can also help you eliminate bed bugs, wasps, ants, mice and nuisance birds.