As the holiday season approaches, it’s time to gear up for all the festivities and fun activities that come with it. There’s much to look forward to, from decorating to preparing delicious meals. However, amidst all the hustle and bustle, it’s important not to forget about the uninvited guests that could potentially ruin your holiday cheer: cockroaches.
Cockroaches can invade your home or business, contaminate your food and spread diseases. But don’t worry — with a little bit of preparation and effort, you can keep these unwanted guests at bay. Here are some tips to help you prevent a cockroach infestation during the holidays:
- Inspect your decorations. If you store your holiday decorations in an attic, basement or garage, the boxes or containers could be housing cockroaches. Unpack all your decorations outside or in the garage to keep pests from escaping into your space.
- Secure your food. Store prepared food and leftovers in airtight containers to limit access for cockroaches. Promptly clean up food crumbs and spills, especially in areas where holiday gatherings occur.
- Dispose of waste correctly. Use sealed trash cans and dispose of garbage regularly to reduce food sources for cockroaches. Inform your guests about the importance of cleanliness and proper food disposal to minimize the risk of attracting pests.
- Get rid of paper products. If you have a bunch of wrapping paper, gift bags and cardboard boxes hanging around after the gifting season, get rid of them as soon as possible. Cockroaches often live and lay eggs on these items.
- Clean and inspect all luggage. Before bringing bags, purses, backpacks or luggage into your home or workplace, check it for signs of cockroaches or other pests. Inspect your clothing and belongings for signs of cockroaches after returning from travel.
- Clean up promptly. Deep clean your home or business before and after holiday gatherings, paying close attention to areas where food is prepared and consumed. Clean the carpets, sweep the floors and wipe down surfaces to eliminate food particles.
Watch for signs of cockroach activity, such as droppings or shed exoskeletons. Promptly call Poulin’s Pest Control if you notice any signs of an infestation. One of our team members can visit your home to get to the root of the problem and provide professional recommendations.
Professional cockroach management solutions in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
Don’t let cockroaches ruin your festive spirit — if you notice these pesky critters in your home or business, visit Poulin’s Pest Control in person or online. We carry various products to help you fight cockroaches, such as glue boards, gel bait, and residual insect killer spray. For more information or expert advice, contact us today.