At first, the cluster fly and the house fly appear to have many similarities, but there are actually many differences between the two. There are many differences between cluster flies and house flies.
- SIZE AND COLOR: Cluster flies are larger than house flies at approximately 7mm long compared to the 3-6mm length of a house fly. The body of a cluster fly will be black with a silver checkered pattern. House flies are dark grey with four narrow black stripes down their bodies.
- WINGS AND FLIGHT: Cluster flies will fly at a much slower and less frantic rate than a house fly. Cluster fly wings will overlap while at rest, house flies have wings that remain separate.
- BEHAVIOR: Cluster flies will cluster together. They are commonly found clustered around windows, in attics, they will be found in sunny spaces. They like unused places, such as attics. Cluster flies are attracted to warmth and light and you will find them gathered by windows.
- HABITS: Cluster flies live outdoors, they mainly appear in the spring and fall. They can be found overwintering inside homes and buildings. Cluster flies come into homes in the late summer and fall months to find a place to hibernate. House flies on the other hand will come into your home to search for food and water.
- DISEASES: Cluster flies are not known to transmit diseases or damage structures, and do not reproduce after coming into a home. House flies are known to carry a lot of diseases because of their habits of landing and feeding on garbage and poop. Cluster files don’t lay eggs on food or garbage, they will instead choose earthworm burrows.
The first thing you will want to consider when trying to keep flies out of your home or business is exclusion and sanitation. This involves the removal or elimination of the larval developmental sites. This may include emptying and cleaning garbage receptacles. Ensure garbage receptacles have tight fitting closures and store away from doors and windows. Seal any cracks or crevices along doors and windows, vents, and along the roof. Patch any damaged screens.
At Poulin’s Pest Control, we’re experts in elimination of pest problems. If you want to take care of the problem yourself, we carry a number of products to assist with many pest problems, and if you need our help, our technicians are standing by. Remember – there’s no foolin’ with Poulin.