Ants never give you the warm fuzzies, but of the various species, the common carpenter ants are the most destructive to your home. They dig through the wood in the structure of your house to make safe spaces to hide. Once inside, they keep burrowing and can destroy insulation and any wood in your home, from window frames to support beams and foundations. If you fear ants may find a foothold in your home, here are a few things you should know.
What attracts ants to your home?
Ants are always on the lookout for food, water, and shelter. Here are some things they may like about your home:
- Wood and moisture. If your house has lots of wood and you’re also dealing with excess moisture, those are ideal conditions for ants to settle in and reproduce. If the wood’s already been softened by fungus, that’ll make it even more inviting.
- Food traces. Even the tiniest crumbs or traces of food are enough to attract ants to your home and make them want to stick around. They’ll have a heyday in your garbage can if it doesn’t have an airtight seal.
- Garden materials. If you have mulch made from wood, leave dead leaves or yard clippings around your property, ants may nest in the shade of this debris. Plants touching your house provide the bridge ants need to get from outdoors to inside your home.
Getting rid of ants
Once ants have moved in, eliminating them is a challenge. Therefore, prevention is ideal. A Pest Management Professional is your best bet for eradicating an infestation. Whether you’re dealing with an ant problem or hoping to prevent one, eliminating the conditions in your home that invite them is key. Here are some essential steps to take:
- Eliminate moisture issues. Repair leaks in your home’s plumbing or structure, keep your gutters clear, and ensure your drains don’t have any blockages.
- Tidy your garden. Remove dead or decaying yard materials. Prune trees and plants growing close to your home.
- Seal openings. Check for vulnerable spaces around your doors and windows. Inspect your foundation for cracks.
If you see ants inside your home, don’t delay. Call a professional to deal with them once and for all. They’ll take the appropriate steps to obliterate the problem.
Insect control across western Canada
Whether you have an ant problem in your home or suspect an issue, the experts at Poulin’s Pest Control will eliminate the infestation or help you prevent one. We provide insect control services across Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Contact us today to arrange a home inspection.