You may have a cockroach infestation in your home right now and not know it. That’s because cockroaches are good at hiding. Once you see one, it may be too late — they may have already arrived en masse. Look for these warning signs that cockroaches are moving in:
- You notice unusual smells. Cockroaches give off a strange, moist, oily or musty odour.
- Strange markings. Cockroaches leave behind brown streaks that are difficult to clean and look like food stains, but actually, they’re remnants of cockroach feces.
- You see droppings. When not smeared over surfaces, cockroach droppings are tiny, black specks that look like coffee grounds. You’ll find them in dark places where cockroaches hide, such as cabinets or under appliances.
- You find roach skins. As they grow, cockroaches shed their exoskeletons and leave them behind. You may see a cockroach’s skin before you see a living one.
- You see egg casings. Cockroaches lay about 30 to 40 eggs in a light-brown, oblong-shaped egg case (ootheca), about 6.5 to 9 millimetres long. Cockroaches carry their egg case with them for a time and then leave them behind.
- Food packaging is tampered with. Cockroaches are voracious eaters with chewing mouthparts and can make a meal of almost anything; some species can even eat paper. If you notice paper or cardboard food packaging has been eaten through, it may be that a cockroach has helped itself to a midnight snack.
- You have allergy symptoms. Some people are allergic to the stuff that cockroaches leave behind, like exoskeletons and feces. If you’ve been experiencing unexplained allergy symptoms, it may be a sign that cockroaches are in your home.
- You see a roach. Cockroaches are nocturnal and don’t like bright light. You may see a cockroach when you turn on kitchen lights, sending the insects running for cover. If you see one during the day, it could mean you have a serious infestation.
Controlling cockroach populations
To control cockroach infestations, you must take away their food and water sources. Here are some tips:
- Don’t leave dirty dishes out
- Keep your kitchen sink free of food scraps and cover drains
- Store food in sealed containers or the fridge
- Keep your kitchen counters, stoves, and cooking appliances clean
- Rinse recycling items
- Clean crumbs and spills from your floors
- Don’t leave pet food out at night
- Vacuum furniture regularly to remove crumbs
- Repair plumbing leaks
If you already have an infestation, call a professional pest control company as soon as you can.
Effective cockroach control in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba
At Poulin’s Pest Control, we carry various approved products like powders, baits, traps and residual sprays to quickly rid your place of cockroaches. Our team of knowledgeable pest management professionals will assess your property and develop a personalized solution to get rid of those critters for good. We have seven locations across Western Canada. Contact us today for more information on eliminating cockroaches from your home or business.