The risk of contamination is specifically associated with contact with rodents, disturbing nesting material, burrows, droppings and surrounding soil.
- Avoid coming into contact with rodents and rodent burrows.
- Do not use cabins or other enclosed shelters that are rodent infested until they have been appropriately cleaned and disinfected.
- Do not pitch tents or place sleeping bags in proximity to rodent feces or burrows or near possible rodent shelters (e.g. garbage dumps or woodpiles).
- Use cot with sleeping surface at least 12” above the ground.
- Use tents with floors.
- Keep food in rodent-proof containers.
- Promptly bury all garbage and trash or discard in covered trash containers (in accordance with local requirements).
- Keep woodpiles 100 feet away from cabins and dwellings and if possible, elevate at least 1 foot off the ground and use traps or rodenticides.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding hantavirus Poulin’s Pest Control has the advice, products, and service options to help you. Call one of our seven branch locations today to speak with an expert.