Buzzing mosquitoes are a nuisance during the summer months. However, they can also carry potentially dangerous and sometimes fatal diseases. Here are some of the most common mosquito-borne illnesses in Western Canada.
- West Nile Virus (WNV) arrived in Canada about 20 years ago and is still one of the most prevalent diseases spread by mosquitoes. People with West Nile Virus may be asymptomatic or display flu-like symptoms that can last up to a week. However, WNV can be deadly for the elderly and individuals with weakened immune systems.
- Encephalitis is a severe neurological condition that can be fatal in humans. Mosquitoes can transmit two main types of encephalitis: Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) and Western Equine Encephalitis (WEE). EEE is quite rare in Canada. However, there’ve been outbreaks of WEE in Canada every decade since the 1930s. WEE in humans and horses is most prevalent in Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
The symptoms of WEE include fever, vomiting and headaches and can quickly worsen to seizures, coma, paralysis and long-term brain and nerve damage.
- La Crosse encephalitis (LAC) is a rare virus that attacks the neurological system. LAC is spread by the tree hole mosquito and can be especially harmful to children.
How to prevent mosquitoes from invading your yard
The best way to control mosquito populations is to attack the insects at their source. Here are a few ways to help prevent mosquitoes from taking over your yard.
- Mosquitoes lay their eggs in water. Therefore, make sure to eliminate standing water in your yard. Overturn pails and buckets, freshen birdbaths regularly, remove water from old tires and keep your home’s rain gutters clean.
- Some plants emit scents that mosquitoes hate. If you want to ward off these buzzing pests, you may want to consider planting horsemint, citronella, marigolds and ageratum.
- Mosquitoes love to escape the midday heat by hiding in long grass and underbrush. Consequently, keep your lawn trimmed to cut back overgrown vegetation.
- Calling a professional pest control service can help you control mosquito populations in your yard. Fogging and spraying are two effective methods of battling adult mosquito populations.
Insect control in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
At Poulin’s Pest Control, we can help you control the population of dangerous insects in your family’s yard. Our residential pest control services include insect fogging and spraying. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our licensed and certified pest control technicians.