Bed bugs can survive almost anywhere. People who travel or work in an area that is known to have bed bugs should know that it is possible for them to bring the bed bugs home. The following points are recommendations to prevent bed bugs:
- Wear shoes that can be brushed off. Before leaving the office, when entering your house or car, use a stiff brush to remove any possible bed bugs that could be on the shoes. Be sure to brush the small cracks and crevices on the shoes, where bed bugs could hide.
- If jackets are worn to work, be sure to use a coat hook or closet to hang them up. Try to avoid leaving them on a bench or on the floor.
- Purses and backpacks should not be placed on the floor or around the baseboards.
- Install 2 –sided tape on the underside of work chairs to prevent bed bugs from crawling on the chair. Inspect these areas weekly for bed bug activity.
- Upon arriving home, change in the bathroom. Shake the clothes worn to work in the bath tub. Inspect the clothes to see if bed bugs could be hiding on them. Check cuffs on pants, collars on shirts, belt loops, zipper covers, etc.
- Use compressed air to blow bed bugs that may be under collars, cuffs on pants, belt loops or other hiding areas. Use precautions doing this as it could blow bed bugs to other areas. Do this in a bathtub and if any bugs are present be sure to wash them down the drain.
- Unpack your suitcases out doors or in a garage. If both areas are unavailable, unpack your suitcase in the bathtub.
- Have garbage bags ready and sort the clothing into appropriate washing colours and place in garbage bags. Seal the bags tight and leave them in the bath tub until you are ready to wash them.
- Vacuum all shaving kits and suitcases. Be sure to focus on the zippers and seams of the suitcase. Be sure to discard the vacuum bag when completed.
- Have a monitor program at home, with insect monitors under the bed. Wash bed covers regularly. Inspect the mattress and box spring for activity.
If you are dealing with bed bugs in your home and need assistance, contact Poulin’s today.