There are several dozen ant species in central and southern Alberta, most of which live in residential homes and yards. While most ant species are harmless, others can damage the structural integrity of your home, spread disease and inflict nasty, painful stings or bites.
The good news is Poulin’s Pest Control in Calgary has the expertise and products to get any ant infestation under control and ensure the pests don’t come back. To learn more about our pest control solutions, call us at 1-877-533-2500 or contact us today at our Calgary office.
Ant Species in Calgary
Effective ant control starts with knowing what type of ant you’re dealing with. Different species of ants live, breed and eat in unique ways. Therefore, treatments designed for one kind of ant may not work for another. The most common ant species in Alberta include:
- Carpenter ants
- Odorous house ants
- Thief ants
- Western thatching ants
- Pharaoh ants
- Pavement ants
- Field ants
- Little black ants
- Common black ants
- Harvester ants
- Sugar ants
- Velvety tree ants
If you don’t know what type of ants are in your home or yard, call a professional pest control service with licensed and certified technicians to identify the insects and determine their habits.
Ant Control Methods in Calgary
The three most effective treatment options for controlling ant populations are spraying, bait and dusting. Here’s an overview of each method:
Insecticide gel bait is a mixture of insecticide and food like sugar that attracts insects. Foraging ants will take small quantities back to their nest, where other insects will ingest the poison and die. Bait is effective when you need to kill an entire colony but can’t find the nest. However, you must place bait where foraging ants will find it. Fortunately, the technicians at Poulin’s Pest Control know the most effective locations.
Insecticide sprays kill the insects on contact and can continue to kill ants in the treated area for several days. However, spraying ants requires a thorough approach, including treating all cracks and crevices, under tabletops, behind sinks, and inside cabinets and appliance motor compartments. It’s also a good idea to spray the baseboards throughout your home. You can count on a Poulin’s technician to identify the areas that should be treated.
Insecticide dust is a passive treatment, whereby dust is spread over an anthill or areas of your home where the pests are active. The dust contains poison and sticks to the bodies of the ants as they crawl over it. The ants then transfer the poison to the nest, eventually eliminating the colony.
How to Prepare for Your Ant Control Treatment
When you schedule an ant control treatment with Poulin’s Pest Control in Calgary, our team asks that you do the following in the affected areas:
- Remove all items from your kitchen cupboards, drawers, refrigerator tops, stovetops and countertops. Place everything on your kitchen table and cover it with plastic sheeting or blankets to prevent contamination.
- Clear the shelves and floor perimeters in all the closets and linen cupboards throughout your home. The removed items can be placed on a bed and don’t need to be covered. Hanging clothes can remain in closets and won’t be affected by the treatment.
- Take birds and pets off the premises. Fish tanks can stay but must be covered to prevent poisoning. Moreover, remove houseplants from windowsills and cover them with plastic sheeting.
- Move all the furniture as close to the centre of each room as possible. This will allow our technicians to access the baseboards for treatment.
- Make sure everyone living in the home leaves the premises for at least four to six hours. Anyone who has allergies, asthma, is pregnant, children under the age of 4, or anyone with respiratory problems should leave the premises for 12 to 24 hours.
Ant Control Treatment in Calgary
At Poulin’s Pest Control, we carry a wide range of ant control products to effectively eliminate ants and prevent them from returning. Our licensed and certified pest control technicians will thoroughly assess your property to develop a comprehensive extermination strategy. Contact us today at our Calgary office to schedule an appointment.