A cockroach infestation is one of the biggest pest control problems in Edmonton homes and businesses. They reproduce quickly, and if you don’t act when you first notice one, you can soon have an infestation on your hands.
Cockroaches carry bacteria that can harm your family, so eradicate the insects with a pest management professional as soon as possible. Poulin’s Pest Control is a leader in cockroach control in Edmonton. Our experienced technicians know where the pests hide and the best methods of eliminating them from your home. Contact us today in Edmonton to schedule an appointment.
Methods of cockroach control
At Poulin’s Pest Control, our technicians use a combination of cockroach removal methods for your Edmonton home or business.
- Insecticides. A pest management professional treating cockroaches applies long-lasting sprays and powders in cracks, crevices, and other typical hiding spots. You must vacate your home during and after the treatment for a number of hours, depending on the chemical tools used. Foggers and sprays that kill quickly without leaving a pesticide behind may not reach cockroaches hidden in walls, appliances, and furniture.
- Traps. Insect traps are placed in many locations to trap and monitor cockroaches and their activity.
- Gel baiting. Using gel bait is less invasive than applying insecticide but may take more time to work. The roaches eat the gel containing poison and eventually die. However, you need to place appropriate pest control baits where foraging cockroaches will find them, which is why using a pest management professional for cockroach extermination is helpful.
Integrated pest management to control cockroach infestations
Take the following steps to help prevent a cockroach invasion from growing in your home or business.
- Sanitation: Remove food sources. Cockroaches eat anything, including pet food, soap, toothpaste, and glue. Clean up any spills and crumbs. Store all food and garbage in hard, sealed containers.
- Eliminate water sources. Cockroaches love dark, moist places. Quickly repair plumbing leaks, cracks in your basement foundation, condensation problems, and leaks in the roof. Prevent insect access to drains. Empty or cover pet water bowls at night.
Eradicate hiding places. Seal gaps around windows, baseboards, pipes, and any cracks in the walls and floors. Also, fill cracks in cabinets and drawers. Remove clutter, stacks of paper, and cardboard boxes that the pests can use for shelter.
At the first sign of a cockroach infestation, call Poulin’s Pest Control.
FAQs about cockroach pest control in Edmonton
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about cockroach control and removal in Edmonton.
Q. What are the signs of a cockroach infestation?
A. You don’t have to see a cockroach to know you have an infestation. Cockroaches leave these tell-tale signs that they’ve moved in.
- Cockroach droppings look like coffee grounds or black pepper.
- Cockroaches lay purse-shaped egg sacks that are light brown.
- Cockroaches emit oily, musty odours.
- Look for cockroach corpses and shed exoskeleons under appliances, in your cabinets, and other dark places such as around pipes.
Q. When are cockroaches most active?
A. Cockroaches spend the day in dark crevices, including under cupboards, behind cabinets, and inside appliances. At night, the pests are most active, leaving their hiding spots in search of food and water.
Q. Are cockroaches dangerous?
A. Cockroaches rarely bite humans. However, they do spread harmful bacteria. Moreover, their droppings, dead bodies, and shed body parts (exuviae) can trigger asthma and allergy attacks. That’s why pest control is vital at the first signs of infestation.
Q. Do cockroaches spread diseases?
A. Cockroaches carry harmful bacteria such as E. coli and salmonella because they eat garbage and sewage and live in locations where these bacteria thrive. The pests then track these diseases onto food, countertops, and anything else they crawl over in your home.
Q. Can a cockroach survive without food?
A. A cockroach can live about one month without food, however, a cockroach can’t live without water for more than a week.
Cockroach removal in Edmonton and the surrounding area
At Poulin’s Pest Control, our technicians have the training, tools and experience to tackle your cockroach problem using the best and safest pest control methods. Contact us today in Edmonton, and a cockroach control expert will visit your home, assess the situation and recommend a solution that kills the insects, so they don’t return.