Now that summer is upon us and camping season is in full swing, we wanted to give you our list of five items that you will need to bring to your campsite. Depending on your needs or preferences, a combo of the items below or even all of the items will help ensure that your camping experience is pest free! The last thing you want to do is spend your long weekend with wasps hovering around your picnic table, ticks crawling up your legs, and mosquitoes feasting on your blood.
- Dr. Doom Mosquito and Tick Repellant – This personal repellant is an odorless foam, it contains 10% deet which will repel Mosquitoes, Ticks, Black Flies, Biting Midges, Deer Flies, Stable Flies and Chiggers! Spray the foam into your hands and apply to any exposed skin, avoiding the eyes and mouth. The repellant will remain effective for up to three hours! Apply as necessary on adults, and for children from 2 – 12 years of age apply to a maximum of three times a day. We also carry spray repellant if you prefer that over foam, and options with higher percentages of deet.
- Fly Swatter – The first commercial fly swatters were created in the early 1900’s. Fly swatters are available in many colors and are a lot of fun for kids! They are a plastic mesh-like striking area attached to a long handle, which is used to swat at flies. Electric flyswatters are shaped like a tennis racket and come with two AA batteries. The benefit of an electric flyswatter over a conventional one is that you do not have to smack the fly against a hard surface to get rid of it, and you will avoid the mess left behind from a squished bug. Fly swatters will also be helpful in getting rid of not only flies, but mosquitoes, moths, gnats, and wasps. This is a great option to keep inside your tent or camper so you can catch the bugs that sneak in.
- Fake Wasp Nest - Get Lost Wasp & Waspinator are natural wasp deterrents which work great for keeping wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets away. They are easy to use, environmentally friendly, safe, clean and effective. Wasps are very territorial creatures and the average nest has a 200-foot territorial radius. Wasps will instinctively not enter an area that has an unidentified nest. All you have to do is hang the fake wasp nest up in your campsite and you will be all set!
- Wasp Trap – The Rescue disposable Yellow Jacket trap is effective in targeting and trapping all major species of Yellow Jacket found in North America. Insects simply follow their instincts, enter the trap, and drown in the liquid inside. Simply add water to activate the powerful attractant and dispose of bag after use. These traps do not use any killing agents, the insects will die naturally. It will NOT trap honey bees! These are perfect for camping trips!
- Flowtron Bug Zapper – For this one to work you will need a campsite that has access to an electrical outlet. These bug zappers attract and kill many flying insects including moths, flies, and mosquitoes! These bug zappers are a natural pest control option using no chemicals, the dead insects simply fall to the ground and get reabsorbed into the ecosystem. The attractive lantern doubles as lighting for your campsite!
If you see an item on our list that you would like some more information on, be sure to visit one of our seven retail stores across western Canada or call us toll free at 1-888-768-5467. Our staff will be happy to help make your camping weekend a great one!